Did you make any resolutions or 2021? 2020 was obviously an epic fail in that department for many. Due to this tragic pandemic, we have all had our lives turned upside down.
It’s no wonder many of us might be a bit nervous about making any with the uncertainty that still persists. At this point, I’m not even sure if my online job exists, as the UK has gone into another hard lockdown. You can’t make travel plans as international and regional borders are closed.
Still, the pressure to start the new year with a long to-do list exists. It’s the perfect opportunity to start fresh. My social media is being bombarded with new challenges – to lose weight, start a fitness regime, achieve my goals…and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.
I like my life. There is major room for improvement, but I’m happy. So my new year’s resolutions are off to a slow start.
Instead of jumping into a diet and exercise programme on January 1st, I’ve eased into the new year. I’ve been reflecting on the year that was, and looking at the lessons and blessings of the year. I’ve been watching my favourite movies (Eat, Pray, Love and Under the Tuscan Sun) and delighted in the beauty of foreign places – especially the food! I find my joy in travelling to other countries – I feel different, like a better version of me- so I’m doing it virtually for now, and revelling in the joy of being able to be transported to magical places.
I’ve been making my vision boards and diving into the FEELINGS that I want to manifest this year. This in itself is a process I love! I get to play! Cutting and pasting pretty pictures makes me feel like a child – and that’s my focus for this year: SIMPLE PLEASURES!
I”m going to be doing more of what I love.
I do have some big goals for this year, but they are not SHOULDs.
- I’m going to lose weight. I’m going to eat delicious food that I enjoy tasting and looking at. I’ve recreated some of our usual meals into more exotic, yet simpler, versions which have fewer calories and look gorgeous on a plate with a salad.
- I’m going to exercise more. I’m going to go on walks with people I like so that we can talk and I can get to know them better.
- I’m going to care about myself more. I’m going to make myself feel beautiful every day. This means dressing up, doing my hair, mani-pedis, caring for my skin, wearing a little light make-up, lotions and potions…
- I’m going to launch my online course. I’ve been dreaming about doing this for a while, so it’s time. It might or might not work, but what the hell! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
- I’m going to focus on my relationship with my husband. I’m going to be stuck with him long after the kids have gone, so it’s a relationship I need to nurture. And it’s going to be fun!
So this is my new year’s resolution: DOING MORE OF WHAT I LOVE!
So, if you’re planning the new year, consider this:
- Aim for progress, not perfection.
- Be kind to yourself.
- Have big dreams, but make small tweaks.
- Only do things that you really WANT to do!
Love and light